Monday, August 1, 2011

The beginning

I've never really considered myself a "pretty" girl.  Not to say that I have low self esteem, but I know I'm not a 9 or a 10.

Also, I'm pretty shy.  Most of my close friends may not believe me, but around unfamiliar people, I feel distant and award.  I do my best to shake this off, but its not something I can always manage.

That being said, during my years of being single, I've had some pretty unbelievable things happen to me.  Sometimes, it feels like I'm making it up. 

What kind of things, you ask?  On a recent outing, I had the distinct displeasure of having a random stranger lick my neck while we were dancing at a bar.  How does this happen?

Imagine the following scene, if you will:  You catch a strangers eye across a crowded dance floor on a hot summer's night.  He comes up next to you and begins to dance with you.  After some failed attempts at twirling you, he positions himself behind you, grabbing your waist as you both sway to the beats. Suddenly, you  feel a bit of pressure on the back our your head, thinking that the man must have been tired.  Next thing you know, his tounge is gliding its way up your neck!  No names exchanged, no other pleasantries entertained; just a stranger's tounge making contact with your sweat beaded neck.  Thankfully, you manage to make eye contact with one of your friends, so you both proceed to the bathroom so you can scrub the affected area with soap and water.

I wish I could say that this situation was unique, but unfortunately, it is not.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the attention, but I would far more appreciate a fairly normal interaction.  I've had gas station attendants hit on me while my younger cousin was in the car, someone feel up my chest or expose themselves to me, men who could be my father talking about taking me home, or tell me all the ways they would like to dominate me.

When I go out, I'm usually with my friends who save me from these guys, but there has been occassions where I've had to have a bouncer walk me to my car (always nice guys).  Yet, everytime this happens I'm shocked.  I see plenty of other more attractive single ladies near me, even friends in my own group, yet it seems like they narrow in on me.

But this morning, I had a slight epiphany.  Maybe its because I'm not a 9 or 10 or even an 8 these things happen to me.   Perhaps these guys are guys are looking for something easy, figuring that I would be overly greatful for the attention.  But in what world do these things actually work. 

Instead, these events become amusing tales for the evergrowing population of married friends that I have.  So why not let the internet in on the hilarity?

No comments:

Post a Comment